Going to have some hard workout but not sure which vegan protein powder to take after? Then let’s get to the point. What is the best vegan protein powder? Well the best vegan protein powder is actually combining two vegan protein powders. I will show you which these are and how to combine them into a protein shake for efficiency and taste.
The best Protein Powder (actually two)
Here are the two main Ingredients in your vegan protein shake:
- Rice Protein Powder
- Hemp Protein Powder
Why these two?
Rice Protein Powder
- has 80 grams of Protein per 100 grams
- has all three BCAAs in a sufficient amount. BCAAs are amino acids (Proteins) that your body can use directly and send them straight to your muscles which is a good thing to have after a workout
- is made of soaked sprouted and fermented whole brown rice. Sprouting activates enzymes and makes vitamins and minerals easier to be fully digested for your body. Same goes for Protein
- has good amounts of Vitamin B’s that are acting as coenzymes and are necessary for proper enzyme function and muscle recovery.
- can preserve all enzymes and vital substances if not heated over 42 degrees (Raw). The enzymes will support your organism and digestive system in processing the nutrients of your food
Raw rice protein powder of high quality
Hemp Protein Powder
- has 40 grams of protein per 100 grams
- is one of the vegan protein sources with all essential amino acids your body can’t produce itself
- has high amounts of magnesium, iron and zinc which are cofactors and necessary for testosterone production and muscle repair
One raw hemp protein powder with 50 grams of protein per 100 grams
These proteins combined give you all essential amino acids the BCAAs for quick support for the muscles after workout and benefit your testosterone production and regeneration. Both proteins are high in the amino acid Arginine which has known effects on wound healing and hormone function, both necessary for recovery and growth.
Your simple Vegan Protein Shake Recipe
- Banana (~150 g)
- Rice Protein Powder (15 g)
- Hemp Protein Powder (30 g)
- Water or Almond Milk (0.5 l)
You probably already got the trick. You add everything in your mixer and press the start button. The banana has a higher glycemic index than most other fruits, which will raise your insulin to absorb the proteins faster and will fill up some carbohydrates. It will add almost 2 grams of protein and help your muscle recovery by adding 50 mg of magnesium and 600 mg of potassium. Magnesium to support your muscles and your nervous system and increase the fat burn by activating enzymes related to it. Potassium to help your muscles to recover. Your body will lose both when doing sports
You would get about 25 grams of protein from this shake. You can add more or less if you want just keep the Rice Protein to Hemp Protein ratio around 1:2.
This would be enough to help your body to recover. But to get more out of your shake in terms of taste and efficiency…
What else to add for more benefits and taste
- Barley Grass Powder (5 g)
- Maca Powder (7 g)
- Carob Powder (5 g)
Barley Grass Powder will give you lots of vitamins and minerals. Through it you can add some Vitamin C and Chlorophyll into your shake to increase the absorption of the iron inside the Hemp Protein.
Only 5 grams cover
- 10% of the recommended daily Vitamin C intake
- 10 % of the recommended daily Folate intake
- over 40 % of the recommended daily Vitamin K intake
- 15 % of the recommended daily iron intake
- 15 % of the recommended manganese intake
And Barley Grass has many health benefits
- lowers cholesterol
- has strong antioxidants that protect your cells and keep you young
- aids your skin and connective tissue
- raises your pH level
- is used to treat some cancer like skin cancer and breast cancer
- aids your intestinal health
- high in Chlorophyll which gives you red blood cells for transporting oxygen and with sunlight regenerates CoQ10 which is believed to aid energy levels and recovery from exercise
Maca Powder is the secret weapon. It will give you energy, balance your hormones and build your muscles. The “side effect“ will be enhanced sex drive with more performance and higher fertility.
You should take about 1g Maca for every 10kg of bodyweight. It might take some days or weeks to feel the benefits. And it is better to stop using it for some time so your body don’t adapt to its effects. Either you take it for 4 weeks and 1 week off or 6 days and 1 day off.
Health benefits are
- balancing hormones
- better immune response
- building muscle by indirectly increasing testosterone
- strengthens bones
- improving sexuality and fertility
Maca is a kind of natural steroid and Viagra in one. You can get it raw or gelatinized what should work better because the ingredients seem to be more activated through the process.
Carob Powder will add a little more minerals and vitamins in your shake and give it a sweeter taste. I have used cacao powder before, but found out that this hyped “Superfood” has more toxins than it has minerals and vitamins. It won’t kill you but will put your liver into much stress if eaten too mach daily. So for the extra flavor there is the tastier Carob Powder which is safe.
In addition, you can eat raw pineapple that contains the enzyme bromelain. Its function is to break down and digest proteins. I don’t really like to add pineapple into my shake though. What about you? Any special advise or questions? Then leave a comment.